Droupadi Murmu won the presidential election and took oath to be the President of world’s largest democracies. Even though Droupadi Murmu is the second Women President next only to Pratibha Patil, her background and her journey is quite inspiring.
Let us see below few interesting and lesser known facts about her
- Smt. Droupadi Murmu is the second woman President of India, following Smt. Pratibha Devisingh Patil who served the country from 2007 to 2012.
- The political career of Smt. Droupadi Murmu started in 1997 when she took up position as councilor for the Rairangpur Nagar Panchayat. Same year, she also became the vice-chairperson of the Rairangpur NAC.
- Five years ago, when the then President Pranab Mukherjee was set to leave Rashtrapati Bhavan, Smt. Droupadi Murmu was considered for the presidential position.
- It runs in her blood to be a leader, as her father and grandfather were village headmen.
- She is the first person from the scheduled tribal community to win the presidential election. In 2015, Smt. Droupadi Murmu led as the Governor of Jharkhand, again being the first tribal person to lead that role.
- She started as a teacher before entering into politics. She is still remembered by her students from Aurobindo Integral Education School at Rairangpur, for her humbleness.
- Like most of the moms would do, she kept her in children in the forefront, and quit the government job she was into, in 1983.
- It is also said that Smt. Droupadi Murmu announced donating her eyes after death to the Kashyap Memorial Eye Hospital in Ranchi.
- One of a very interesting fact is that she is the first president of India, to be born after Independence, in 1958. Also, in addition, she is the youngest person amongst people who have presided India.
- Smt. Droupadi Murmu is known to be a great social activist and has done a lot of social work throughout her life. In line with this, she was awarded the Neelkanth Award for Outstanding Legislator by the Odisha Legislative Assembly in the year 2007.
- Spiritually she is a follower of Brahma Kumari sect, for almost 13 years.
An Inspiration to all Women
She is a much deserved presidential candidate and has been living in poverty, faced financial crisis, and other hardships in life. She reached heights in political career due to her talent in handling a lot of issues and varied departments that include Animal husbandry and fishery.
Given her expertise, she will certainly do justice to her presidential role, thus helping India step up. Her win as the president of India, has also given a motivational boost to the future generation, and aids them believe that even a common lady can reach career peaks through hard work. We, from our team congratulate Smt. Droupadi Murmu on becoming the 15th President of India, and wish her all the very best for her new role!
Author – Parvathi Gopinath
Parvathi is a media professional with nearly 10 years of experience in media and writing. In these years, she has worked with leading organizations such as Radaan Media Works, Sankara TV, RTT NEWS INDIA to name a few. Conceptualization, Strategy, Execution and Development are her areas of expertise.